My New Year's Revolution
Yup, you read that right. I said “Revolution” not “Resolution.” I have decided that my life needs a revolution. I mean think about it, every year at this time, many of us make a list to do all these things differently. I promise I will eat healthy (and then break that resolution in about three weeks). I promise to spend less money (and then buy something unnecessary because is was on sale). I promise to become more organized (and then resolve that is pointless after getting buried in the mess of something in the house). So this year, I am not resolving to do any of those things. Yes, I still want to lose weight. I am still working on it. It didn’t go on overnight. It is not going to come off overnight. I don’t want to make resolutions and then get mad at myself when I screw up because I am not perfect. So I have decided to start my own life revolution.
I am going to do five things this year that are out of character for me. I want to take my life in a different direction and get out of the box I have built myself. There are things in my life that I have wanted and never bothered to take the risks to make them happen. So this year, I am taking steps to change that. Here is my list so far:
1. Take a dance class. I am going to join my friend’s Zumba group for starters. My goal is to work my way up to taking an adult dance class in the fall at my children’s dance studio.
2. I am going to sing again. For starters, I am currently teaching my children how to sing to get back into the groove. I have recently realized how much I miss using my voice. My goal is to either sing at church or join a choir somewhere.
3. I am going to say NO more often and stand my ground. I have recently realized how much of a pushover I have become. I don’t want to be that way. I don’t think it shows a good role model for my children.
4. I am going to spend more time writing. At this point, I don’t care if it means blogging or writing short stories. My goal is to write. I enjoy it, and I do not spend enough time doing it.
5. I am moving forward with my life. I am working on the relationships that deem worthy of being relationships and getting rid of toxic people and things in my life.
So that’s my list. I will keep you all posted how this all plays out over the course of 2011. At the very least, it should be interesting. So what kinds of changes do you plan on making this year? At any rate, I wish you all a Happy New Year!