The things that people say… and what I want to say to silly questions
In case you are just tuning into my blog, I have three kids. There is a pretty large age gap between the last two. While we were not going for a large age gap, our last child was planned. Between this and homeschooling, we sometimes deal with some ridiculous statements. So I thought I would list some of them for those of you who may have had to deal with the same thing, along with some fun responses that I want to say but don’t.
1. “Are they all yours?” Okay, so this one I sorta understand because for years I have been getting confused with being the older sister rather than mom. Part of it is because I look younger than I am, which is a blessing and a curse. The other is probably because I like to wear things, like video game shirts…and then there is my collection of funky hats. I also take in exchange students, which adds to the confusion. I am often tempted to say, “Dangit, I don’t know where they all come from. They just keep following me around.”
2. “You are really embracing that homeschool lifestyle, aren’t you?” Okay, so what is THAT supposed to mean? I know homeschooling families that are big AND small. I know public school families that are big AND small. Family size is a personal thing, and one that each family should decide for themselves. I came from a family with four kids, and two of my step-brothers have larger families. It’s great. However, when I am asked, I often want to say, “Yeah, I ordered the homeschooling kit, and it comes with extra kids. My denim jumper is coming soon. It was on back-order.”
3. “Well, you just shot yourself in the foot, didn’t you? Now you will NEVER be alone!” Actually, that was kinda the idea. When we decided to have one more kid, we were thinking of maybe having another after that. I kinda liked the idea of having kids in my house until I have grandkids to spoil. I like kids, even though my kids drive me absolutely bonkers. Thing is, they still drive me less bonkers than most adults do. Plus, I work with kids! I honestly don’t know what to say when people say this one. It just sorta irks me.
4. “I seriously hope you are done now.” Why? What business is it of yours if I have one more or five more? I am the one taking care of them. Well, my husband helps obviously, but yeah, we kinda like the little buggers and enjoy them (most of the time). I often respond with “We’ll see.” However, I would like to say usually, “It’s none of your business.”
5. “I don’t know how you do it.” I don’t know how I do it either. I don’t know how any parent does it. We just do. It’s crazy, and our kids are sometimes difficult, but we get through. Some days and stages are easier than others, but I wouldn’t trade any of it. My kids drive me insane sometimes, and there are days I lock the bathroom door and cry. However, I don’t know what I would do without my crazy bunch…the three that are mine…the 12 I have hosted through the years. I usually just shrug my shoulders. This statement isn’t meant to be malicious usually, but I do hear it often. I am sure some of you do as well.
So…what statements have you heard since having kids? Which ones annoy you? Feel free to share yours in the comments below!