DIY Homeschool Kids

How to make slime using Cornstarch

My son has been asking me lately if we could make slime. So I thought I would post an easy slime recipe using Cornstarch since Borax can aggravate some people’s skin, especially among children.
slime with cornstarch
Ingredients:
1 Cup Cornstarch
1/2 Cup Water
1 Bowl
1 resealable bag
Glitter for color (optional)
Directions:
Pour Cornstarch into a bowl. Add water slowly while mixing the ingredients with your hands. Add color (optional). Transfer slime in a resealable bag. Store slime in the refrigerator. You may need to mix it each time before using.
*Also remember that you cannot dump slime down the drain because it can clog your drain.

(33) Comments

1. This is a great recipe – I had never made slime before as my recipe calls for Borax as well and it just never seemed mild enough for us. Thanks so much for sharing!

1. You are welcome. My daughter is very sensitive, so I didn’t want to make anything that would irritate her skin.

2. did you know that the slime you are making is a newtonian fluid? i did.

1. I did not know that.

2. Jim Kirk says:

Nonnewtonian. A newtonian fluid has a constant viscosity while a nonnewtonian fluid changes viscosity depending on the force applied to it.

3. Oh- my kids would love this, I will have to try it & Thanks for linking it up to The SUnday SHowcase!

1. it turns into oobleck i dont think it is slime but it is a great recipe!

4. My son has very sensitive skin and he is allergic to an ingredient in borox. This recipe is better than any other and it does not irrtate his skin. Thanks!!! πŸ™‚

1. Happy to help!

5. hjg says:

this is a great project

6. […] How to make slime using Cornstarch | Bear Haven Mama […]

7. Hannah says:

Thank you my family doesn’t use borax

8. Nicole says:

Wow this is amazing even my 13 year old likes it!

9. thanks for making this.

10. Fel says:

This unfortunately is more “goo” than slime and is definitely not a replacement. Tried and was very disappointed. Maybe still acceptable for young kids.

1. My kids were younger when we started making it. It is more goo because of the cornstarch. We can’t use harsh chemicals because my daughter has exzema

1. This is so fun to play with thanks

11. Kawehi says:

When I followed the instructions it disolved and looked like milk so I put it in the fridge will it turn into slime then or is it good now

1. Juliana Coppola says:

That happend to me also!

12. It may not all have the same consistency. I haven’t made this in a while because the older kids are too cool now…or so they think. It did work well for us when they younger because my daughter could not use a lot of the other recipes because of her skin allergy

1. Thanks I have been looking for an easy project for my kidsπŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

13. Savannah says:

How long does it need to be in the fridge??

14. Lilly says:

Is borax like a powdery detergent??

15. natalie says:

This is not called slime at all. It is called oobleck.

16. natalie says:

I have eczema too! I have had it since I was 5.

1. Sissy has had it since infancy. My other two don’t have it at all

17. natalie says:

I was not hating when I said this wsa oobleck. I am letting you know what this is called.

1. It is all good. I wrote this one so long ago and kept it simple. I am honestly always surprised that it is still circulating. I hope that you had fun making it!

18. Isabela says:

Great job!! You made a lot of people happy, thanks. Every time I made slime, it would never work or I would run out of an ingredient by making too much slime. (Lol) Thus is wonderful

19. That’s my issue too

20. Karianna says:

I hope this works I am about to try this!!!!! πŸ™‚

21. anabelle says:

hi

22. […] known as, Dr. Pimple Popper. With the enormous popularity of that and the growing popularity of slime, Zits (EWWW!) Pop n’ Play Pimples seems to be coming out at just the right […]